Tuesday 30 November 2010

Strings of Bunting

Bunting is a great sounding word, 
conjuring up visions of coloured triangles fluttering in swags!
Bunting was the name for a light woollen fabric used by the British Royal Navy 
to make ribbons and flags, back in the 17th Century. 

Today I plan to set you sailing forth with ideas to garland your home this Christmas.


Whether you have paper or cloth
sewing machine or glue
a golden thimble or too many thumbs ... 
you can make a ribbon of bunting today with these simple ideas.

1. Start with a basic shape and draw it out on a piece of paper to be your template.
Basically, cut out lots of triangles!
These are the measurements I used.


2. Easiest bunting is made with paper triangles.
Either use double sided gift wrap or go for economy like me and use IKEA gift wrap and just glue the two triangles together.
Stitch or glue the triangles to some ribbon and you are ready to fly a flag in no time.


3. I like using felt. It doesn't fray, has a warm soft feel and just looks right for winter.
I added a line of red stitching onto the felt to give a little detail, but you can miss this out if you're rushing.
To add a little extra I popped into IKEA again and used some of their inexpensive tree decorations, fixing them under the tape, as I stitched.
4. Fabrics give you so many choices of prints and colours.
I was on a mission - no time for complicated hemming and turning inside out and pressing.
By cutting the triangles with a rotary cutter I got nice sharp edges and simply stitched a line of straight stitch down the long sides of the triangle (about 1/4inch or 1/2cm in from the edge).

5. I started to get fancy - adding white pompoms, these are intended to add a snowball effect!
See what you have lying around that could add a little detail.
But remember, "Less is more," and the bunting is hanging up high so you won't see tiny details.

6. Use ribbon, bias binding tape or cotton tape (like me).
Fold the tape double and stitch or glue it in place.
Leave at least 50cm / 2 feet of ribbon at each end, so you have something to tie it up with.
Total length is up to you.
Think of places to hang such as over a door way, on a medicine chest, round a table, round the room and plan according to the place you will hang it.

7. Be creative, branch out from your usual christmas decorations, have a little fun ...
bring some bunting into your life.



Don't forget I have a festive Giveaway for you to enter. 
I have extended the date to Friday December 3rd.
(I forgot to give you a date yesterday!)
Winner announced here on Saturday.

This is the tasty Advent package I am going to send one of my subscribers ~ 
to say "Thanks for joining me at my table".
Bunting, chocolate, gift tag pack all posted to you from China.


All you have to do to win this package is subscribe by email to this blog in the box below. 
(You need to subscribe even if you are a fabulous Google Follower to be eligible)


Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner


5 comments:

Jenni said...

Well done! Really festive bunting with easy-to-follow instructions. Great set of photos...those goldfish with the frilly tails look so eye-catching on your hearth

Unknown said...

Very informative. I love the easy way you have shown the measurements, I can see a lot of work has gone into bunting and blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jenni and Debbie. Please send me photos if you make any bunting - would love to share on this blog.
I x

Geek+Nerd said...

I love buntings! I have a package of those little Santas too - someone gave them to me and I was never quite sure what to do with them. I love what you have done here!

kalanicut said...

So many fun buntings. Love all your ideas. Your photos are so great. Love your fireplace too. :)

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...